Thursday, June 20, 2013

in response to a friend

words and thinking aren't working for me today, the weather is rainy, and work is rather humdrum and blah. But in in any case, I shall endeavor to phrase this as best as i can:

First of all, there is a joy which comes from God when we step away from our own issues to help someone in need. Jesus made a point of picking disciples who had not quite conquered their own issues to join Him. This led to two powerful messages for us: 1) God calls the imperfect, 2) God teaches us along the way. Jesus time and time again used His disciple's greatest weakness and turned it into their greatest strength. Peter is a great example for one. I believe God gives us joy, and great happiness in doing things for other people.


However, there may be a mayrter complex for some of us. I often focus so hard on pleasing others, and taking care of other's needs, I tend to push aside my own feelings. I figure, what the heck? I don't need any help, I can just keep reaching out to help others. This is where Satan sometimes steps in. He is doubt, guilt, low self esteem. He may try to guilt us into thinking, no one cares about my problems, or I don't want to force myself on someone else's time or schedule, or they're probably busy, why ask them for advice? Sometimes we just assume that if we call up a friend to hang out or talk, that they are busy, or in the middle of something. Then we turn around and go help someone else, figuring, well at least I can help someone... and the pattern goes on.

To break a pattern, really, you need to let God step in and take care of you. This is hard, because we sometimes do not want to wait for God, or we figure we have a faster way to sort out our troubles: usually by ignoring it. I'm not really one to talk, I can be very impatient at times. But God really does know what He is doing, and if we let Him, He will take care of us, completely, wholeheartedly, and without reservation.

ps - I would not recommend taking a nap in the grass today. It is rather wet. Woof!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your input. I'll definitely pray about it.

theskett said...

Good thoughts, shaggy!