Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Finally Recovered! Pluto's lost diary...

Breaking news! Astrologists recovered Pluto's diary, (buried inside the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, where NASA recently landed a probe called Philea). Pluto apparently tossed his diary at the comet as it streaked past about 8 years ago. Here are some excerpts from his diary:


Beginnings:
A small book landed on me from a nearby asteroid whizzing by. I think I shall record my life out here! It's dark, very dark, but I do not need much light. Besides, the Sun is so big, and intimidating. Maybe one day I will introduce myself, but for now I am content.

1st century:
Life has been going along quite well, although I do not get invited to many parties. Other planets are so much bigger than I am, I do not seem to fit in. However, I have found plenty of asteroids who seem to enjoy my company. Some even land on me and do some ice skating. It is quite fun.

2nd century:
There is a big commotion near the sun. Some very small humanoids on Earth are starting to notice us! They have even given some of us names. The Sun, Earth, and Moon were the first to receive attention. They are eating all the cake too, by the way.

2nd century - note:
The Sun has been promoted! It has now reached Star class. And that's not all. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn have all gained Planet status, and the moon has gained Moon (orbiting around a Planet) status. Alas, some of us out here are still yet to be promoted. :( We threw a small party out here, myself, Uranus, and Neptune, along with our moons.  We were all sort of blue.

1781
Uranus has finally been promoted! While I am happy for it, I am still sad that Neptune and myself have not been awarded this honor. We have grown quite close however, and she and I have played scrabble and minefield (using the asteroids) every time we pass each others way. Uranus is now officially invited to all the Planet parties, and no longer hangs out with us.

1801
Poor Neptune! Ceres was just promoted as a planet, and she is so torn up over it. I took her out dancing, and we danced the night away to forget our troubles.  I told her she was such a beautiful planet, that she would be noticed and become a Planet very soon.

1846
She is now a Planet! Neptune has been classified as the 13th Planet of the solar system. She is so happy she is glowing. And though she has been invited to the Planet parties, she still plays scrabble with me on occasion.

1851
Neptune is now the 8th Planet. It seems you have to fulfill a certain size requirement to be a Planet, and Ceres is now re-classified as an Asteroid. I feel sorry for Ceres, but happy for Neptune

1890
*Sigh* Only Neptune still hangs out with me. All the other Planets, even Ceres, are going to these Planet parties, and having fun and playing games. I'm all alone out here in the furthest orbit. It's so very lonely.

1920
Will I ever be noticed?

1930
They saw me! I'm a Planet now! Yayyyyyyy!!!! I'm so happy!!  They have named me Pluto, a suggestion by a young 11 year old Earthlander who lived in Oxford, England at the time. I love my new name!

1950
These parties are fun! And they have cake! Oh, I love cake!

2006
Wha? *sniff* *sob* I don't understand... Why would they demote me? I haven't done anything wrong... I've been a good Planet, I really have. Maybe they will still hang out with me. And I wanted to ask Neptune out on a formal date. What will she think?

.........

And that's all there is. Pluto must have thrown his diary at one of the passing asteroids and NASA picked it up 8 years later.

Sheepdog: poor Pluto! well, I still think he's a planet! :D


1 comment:

Scamper said...

Aww sob! *Wonk Snoot* well oh well, the parties still invite Ceres so I would assume Pluto gets to go to the parties. Besides, Pluto can hang out with astroids and Neptune also.