Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Desk Tricks for Work



Quick Desk Tricks I use every day:
A quick run-down of windows 7 based tools I use on a daily basis:

Windows Search
Click Start, type in the program you need, or file you need. Done right, it can be faster than clicking an icon on your desktop

Docking things
I have about 8 programs “docked” on my start bar so they are easy and quick to open.

Multiple Emails
I almost always have at least 2 if not 3 email accounts opened simultaneously. Since they are all google accounts, I have one open in each browser. I use firefox for my personal email, chrome for my work email, and I.E. for helpdesk emails.

Alt – Tab
By holding the Alt key, and pressing tab, you can easily switch between multiple windows without having to find them.

Shortcuts
I use these so often I don’t even think of it as a “trick” per se, but they are very helpful:
Ctrl + c   copy
Ctrl + v paste
Ctrl + p print
Ctrl + s save
Ctrl + t in browser, opens new tab

Shortcuts
I use shortcuts on my desktop as well, often for programs or pages I open frequently. I have about a dozen that I use on a daily basis. Most of these are webpages. To create a new shortcut:
Right Click on Desktop
Click New
Click Shortcut
Copy and paste the address in the bar, then create a name for your icon, and Click Finish. 

Finally, while this isn't computer related, I always have a pad of sticky notes and a pen available for jotting notes, and a spiral notebook handy for taking longer notes or thoughts. 

Enjoy! 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The fact that I use most of those tricks already makes me feel smart and accomplished. :) I look forward to more work-related posts, especially about healthy work habits and how to talk to coworkers. That can get hard sometimes. My coworkers are all jaded Customer Support Reps and tend to be much more cynical than I am. I feed them coffee and generally keep my mouth shut.

Sheepdog said...

Nice! I will try to post something about jaded co-workers, as I have a few over here as well. *hehe* They have been working here for close to 14 years, and have a somewhat less-than-enthusiastic outlook, but they have their moments of rare humor. :) I'm sure the coffee helps. You may not realize it, but I'm sure your good attitude and outlook rubs off on them now and again. :) Enjoy your Thursday!