Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Is It Christmas Yet? Part III - Holiday Decorating

Holiday Decorating
I love decorating. There is no way around it. Every year, the bunnies and I end up decorating our modest apartment, and typically at least 1 other dwelling (Otter's cabin). Last night we pulled the boxes out of our storage shed and began setting things up. I like to think about decorating in 3 stages: the inside, the outside, and of course, the Christmas Tree. Here are some notes I've made on each of these:

The Inside:
Decorations can be anything really. Wrapped boxes, picture frames, pot-holders, tablecloth, Christmas blankets, you get the idea. Our first tree in college was decorated with pipe cleaner ornaments and candy canes with 1 strand of lights adorning it. We even tried to make popcorn strings but found that was much harder than it looks! I've kept an eye out for small decorations, and lights at garage sales over the years. We now have a few tins, more strands of lights, some Christmas books, and a wreath. Aside from garage sales, I like to peruse thrift stores, Goodwill, and the dollar tree. Or, try asking any relatives for Christmas decorations.
This year we tried something new, a snow scene. We used a piece of snow cloth, and added some fake trees and a few stuffed animals to create a Narnia-like snowscape. We even added a lamppost to the center! On our desk, we set out a checkered red and green cloth (Old tablecloth I think) and set up a clock, a nutcracker and some wrapped boxes. Tada! instant Nutcracker scene. Some well-placed garland from the dollar tree went up above the kitchen, along with a strand of lights and a few tins.

The Outside:
I was lucky enough one year to come across an entire box of lights at a garage sale for a quarter. Often people buy new lights each year and don't want to fix/store their old ones. Pick these up, spend some time fixing the lights and bobs your uncle! You also don't need enough lights for the martians to see  your house (unless your Calvin that is). Decorate the front porch, or a railing, and hook your lights up to the porch light with a doohickey. http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-1403-Outlet-Socket-Adapter/dp/B001F71O70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449015735&sr=8-1&keywords=light+socket+to+plug+adapter
This way, you can turn on your porch light to light up the outside! Remember, in general you only want 4 or so sets of Christmas lights daisy-chained together before breaking out another extension cord.
*Pro-tip: Anytime I see an extension cord, either 2-prong or 3-prong at a garage sale for a couple dollars I pick it up. You can never really have too many extension cords.

The Tree:
One tradition I really like is picking up a couple of new ornaments each year to add to the tree. This way there is a nice blend of older and newer ornaments. Some folks prefer a tree to have a theme (all gold ornaments or only globes). This is fine, but for some reason I like having all sorts of ornaments on the tree. It's also easier to pick up or make new ornaments as I don't have a theme I have to match. Quilling and oragami ornaments can be really beautiful! As for lights, I typically run one strand of white lights up and down the trunk, and 2-3 strands around the tree. The trunk lights help illuminate the ornaments, and give the tree more depth. Oh! And we have an angel adorning the tip top. :)
Tree's can be expensive. If you live out in the woods, or close to tree farms, see if there is a grower nearby where you can pick out your tree directly. They are usually cheaper this way, and you get a much nicer selection. It can also be worth asking a tree lot or tree farm for a "charlie brown tree". You know the one, the sad little tree who just didn't hit his growth spurt or has some missing branches on one side. They may just drop the price on it or give it away free!
*Pro-tip: Bring a long a pocket knife and some gloves. Often times tree places have plenty of twine, but not enough knives to go around. Having your own can be a huge help!

Well, that's all for now. See you all later, and enjoy your decorating!
Woof,
Sheepdog

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I get paid on the eleventh... not sure I'll be decorating this year, because of budget things. I will definitely ask my relatives if they have any decorations they want to get rid of, though. I'm beginning to realize that my house is somewhat... barren. No pictures on the walls, no decorations or wall-hangings or signs or anything. I'll fix that over time, but this is the first time I've been in a position where there aren't other people around that already have an abundance of holiday decorations to throw around.

You're right. Trees are expensive. I'd really like to have one, but that might just have to wait until next year. :) Or maybe I'll nab one on sale after the holiday rush and make it a New Year Tree! *laughs*

Sheepdog said...

A new year tree sounds like fun! :) You're place looks great compared when I first moved out. You have lots of seating, a table, coffee table, etc. :) Pine branches can make great homemade swags, and add a nice Christmas-y smell :)

Unknown said...

That's brilliant! *jots notes* Pine branches.... I also have three big oak trees in my yard, all of which have mistletoe growing in them. Not sure how to get it down, but it's there.

Sheepdog said...

Awesome! :D A bit of string, a thumb-tack, and presto! instant swag. :)